When I saw this green cloak in the charity shop – I truly could not resist it.. It reminded me of the original Irish Air Hostess uniform. Its a full-on kelly-green woven wool cloak with hood. My feeling is that it was probably made for either a primary school play or float about St Patrick, and also made a long long time ago! With a cloak there is a natural progression to a kimono sleeve (I was given a cloak some years ago and made a jacket with sleeves from it, and it was only when I finished I thought the kimono sleeve …..)
I used this Butterick pattern and had to make it about 8 inches shorter as there was not enough fabric, but that being said, the pattern length was too long for contemporary wear. The sewing up was relatively straight forward, and its a great summer coat pattern, I used the lining from the cloak to line it but it was a bit light and a bit scrappy, so I happened to come across a nice check lining by chance, and it has a better weight, so I relined it using a heavier lining and also decided to include side pockets. The patch pockets did not look well at all, and the side ones work nicely.
(I was tempted to make one of the hats from here to match ….. but that’s for another day)