When I first started this pet project / blog, my mini-ambition was also to develop a set of patterns suitable for upcycling clothes, and it seemed to keep falling by the wayside. I did up one last year….and its still on rough paper (but I hope to get that drafted and tested in the next month)
Two months ago, I changed jobs – I went back temping – and wanted to make up some new ‘work’ tops. When I used temp years ago, I would wear skirts more, whereas this year I have pretty much been wearing cigarette pants all summer, and wanted to make up a few ‘prepier’ looking shirts/tops to go with them. One was this butterick shirt, which I made from a pale blue linen. The one think I hadn’t thought of, was to cut the front up-side-down on the men’s shirt as the buttons go the wrong way!
Anyway – while it has been a useful addition, I wanted a top with no collar, but still ‘crisp’ looking. I had a white dress shirt from the sewing room in the cupboard and ran this one up. I was very pleased with it, as I managed to get the whole top out of the shirt (and still have some usable scraps left – cuffs and collar). I took off the pique panels and used them for the yokes and incorporated the button holes as a ‘feature’, and did a slash opening at the back.
I was very happy with the construction – its a lined yoke, and slash opening back, and sleeves are sewn in flat, and there are a small amount of gathers at the cuff of the sleeve.
I then wondered how adaptable the pattern would be, and as I had a few stripe shirts in the workroom, so I started to experiment with some mix and match there (I had planned to use these with the teens in the sew summer camp) so started taking them apart and sampled up a few – tweaking as I went along, the main tweak really was adding shoulder darts. I am rather pleased with the patchwork-ed ones and am now foisting some of the makes on friends, as I got carried away with the making…..
So-with the making of the new Irish Dancing Dress looming I spent last weekend drafting and had it scanned yesterday. I put it on craftsy and its free, and hope to have an A4 version up by the weekend. I am hoping the explanations of each step is sufficiently informative without being too simplistic. I have found in the sewing room – that I tend to assume that ‘everyone’ knows this – but then remember or am reminded that not everyone learned to sew in school etc. So if you have any comments tips on the instructions and pattern if you wish to download/read/use, I would be delighted to hear them.
Originally I was to grade it also, but I was running out of time, and if my niece (irish dance dress) finds out I am doing extra-curricular activities – I thought it best to finish what I had, and get onto that!