I really have far more than I can re-sew currently, and yet when my friend Petra mentioned she saw a coat in her local charity shop she thought I would like, and I liked the sound of it (wool), and so the next time she was at the shop, it was still there and she got it. One reason it was probably still there, was it’s navy, which does not seem to sell, and yet I find it a better colour for me.
It still had its tags, and the maker label – Miller Raynor Danco . I looked them up and it seems they are a brand (still going) that make ship uniforms and this one was from the 70s or 80s as they had some name changes. I could not figure the size but think it an 16 or 18, and it felt a bit big on, and the cut was rather boxy and school-ish. Its a light-weight wool so it really looked like a useful summer/mid-season coat.
I left it a few weeks before I cut into it. The main changes I wanted to make were to take out the button thing at the sleeve, and take it in, and I had in mind to add embroidery. I unpicked the seams to the neckline, and tried to work on the coat without fully taking it apart. I used my raglan coat pattern for the front, and trimmed about 4cm off the side seams on the front panels and tapered it the sleeves. When I lay the rest of the pattern on the coat, my pattern was slightly bigger than all the other pieces so I resewed them all up without cutting them.
I dithered a bit on the embroidery and settled on a ‘lawn’ motif, and in a single colour. Originally I wanted to embroider the centre front or around the hem. Doing the centre front would have been tricky, and I would need a bigger motif and a machine that could take a bigger hoop for the around the hem, and after a fair bit of deliberation, and dragging another friend over for a consult – the sleeves seemed to be the way to go.
It was relatively straight forward, and once done, I decided that the collar had to go. I was going to keep it, but really thought it too severe – so I just tidied up the neck-line until I decided on whether to go for a bound edge on the neck or a ribbing (as in what you would get on a ‘bomber’ jacket). So the plan is to wear it as is, until I figure it out – I still have to change the buttons and I will go for covered buttons in the same fabric and sew up the top buttonhole and replace with decorative button and popper underneath.
I enjoy MMM (me-made-may) postings but I don’t post any, a lot has to do with my delaying in organising photos, but as I was very happy to have ended up packing for a trip with mainly me-makes – I figured I better get some photos of them. We went on a small trip away to York and Leeds
I packed a DKNY dress (I made this a while ago, and never blogged about it). Its a brilliant pattern and the dress wears well with a base layer or on its own and I have worn it loads since its January make. I tend to wear it with a hand-drawn baselayer. Another make I have never blogged about as I didn’t think much of it as I made it 2 years ago and yet I use it constantly – so much so, that I found white sleeve tee in the charity shop last month and made another! Basically its just drawing strips with permanent marker, and then brushing them with methylated spirits to disperses the pen and then when its dry -wash it well (as the fumes stay in the fabric). The reason I was disappointed originally was that the tee looks particularly cool when its meths soaked and dries rather flat later, but its since become a staple, and now I have 2. In all I was really pleased with my packing as other times I go away, I bring too much of the wrong stuff and dont wear it all – the amount I brought this time was just right and I was able to layer on the two cooler days and wear less on the 2 warm days.
The stripe tee looks well with the yellow cardi I upcycled in January, and this works well with my denim cigarette pants, which also work fine with the McCalls summer top from last year, so between that and a few shoe changes I was packed!
I used the boots, cigarette pants and long sleeve baselayer and navy sweater for the travel (Navy sweater only item not a MMM) on the Wednesday. Thursday was a beautiful warm day in York – I didn’t not bring my coat at all! -and I changed shoes going to dinner later.
Friday was cooler, and I wore the DKNY dress with baselayer and coat for a trip to the Leeds Armoury (swanky photo above) and shops (including seeing the All Saints sewing machine window display – WOW*, as well as the M&S Archive), and on Saturday, wore the cigarette pants, boots, yellow cardi baselayer etc for musuem and gallery visits before heading back. I was well glad of my choice in footwear as we walked loads – the only issue really was the trip was too short and we could only do so much – so thinking of heading over again sometime.
So after wearing the coat for the weekend, I am still undecided on collar and will take the coat in a small bit more on sides. Very chuffed with coat – and will be repeating the embroidery on some summer linens.
*there was a Tesla car on display opposite the All Saints shop and I never even noticed it- I was only told about it later by my sister who went there on the the Saturday – I was inspecting the machines it didn’t register!