I got these scarves a few weeks ago in the local charity shop. They were a donation of seconds from a woolen mill in Mayo (this charity shop sometimes gets donations from this mill), and I find it hard to pass up on wool , but I also find it hard to sew everything I pick up so I dithered for a while on whether I should get them at all. Most of the scarves were thicker, and ‘normal’ size, but there were two wraps that were incredibly fine – and these I could not leave behind., I was wondering what to make, and was wondering if I should cut into them, but they work so well as shawls and scarves (I started wearing them pretty much straight away). I decided to try another poncho!
I thought multi-coloured buttons would be a bit of fun, so got a selection and made a number of buttonholes. As the wool is so fine, I used scraps of vilene to stabilize, and made all buttonholes the same size, but did not cut them all up the same size until I checked each button (buttons were either 14mm or 16mm). I did 7 buttonholes each side, but it was only AFTER I thought that the 2 rows of buttons I did for the last one would not look so good here, so I zig-zagged them closed! (they don’t look too obvious, and as its a line of 7 it has a pattern to it, so I am thinking -wishfully- it looks deliberate!)
Some Print, Some Pattern
We (sewing group) also did 2 workshops for voluntary arts week. One was pattern drafting, and the other was hand printing fabric. I did a pattern drafting one for a few of us, and as all good plans, they changed. I had intended to show skirt drafting, but we ended up trying out the pattern magic book, which was good for me as I keep meaning to try the bamboo shoot top. So I prepared the pattern again at home, and cut a toile, printed it, and made it up. I originally printed it with white but it looked rather dull, so I did a speckle repeat in red/orange/yellow. The folding and sewing needs some refining, but I am glad I got to try it. Its unlikely I will make it up as I don’t wear waist seams much, but I may use it again in another context.
The other print I did was on a dress. The pattern I drafted was for a dress based on one I saw on the Finery London website (I just love their clothes). I thought it would make a handy work (as in gardening etc) smock style dress, and cut it from a sheet. I drafted a quick pattern, and thought to do a plaid style pattern. The single line looked effective (and out of line) but I left as was, and did the plaid effect for the pockets. I have not bothered to finish this as I forgot that these shoulder darts can look severe – too much like the 80s and in all the dress is a bit of a sack!
Ultimately, I am not too bothered these are still at toile stage as it was good to change it up a bit, as I forgot how much I like printing by hand, and repeat patterning…. so much so, that we are planning another print session for later in the summer!