I got this jumper in a charity shop last year. I can never resist a fine knit wool, this has some silk and rayon in the mix so its light and warm. Its also got the style neckline I find odd, its neither a polo, or round neck, but I figured I would ‘road test’ it over the winter and decide its fate. As its so light, I thought it would make a great ‘transition’ wear sweater (or as I am so cold blooded most probably a summer sweater). I didn’t over-think it too much, and thought a simple border would work. I had some double knits in stash, and would have preferred a 4 ply or fingering, but the double knit wasn’t as heavy as I thought it would be (and I also need to shrink the basket of half balls of yarn). I had this ‘nico’ cotton a few shades – dark red, hot pink, cream, and taupe. Originally I was going to use the dark red and then do the red with taupe, and then figured the taupe on its own could look well. It co-ordinates perfectly.
I trimmed the sweater, and cut the sleeves a bit shorter, and cut a neckline. I was a bit nervous cutting the neckline as I didn’t want to trim too much. I tacked a hem on all edges and did a blanket stitch edging with matching linen thread (I would have preferred buttonhole thread but the linen thread matched perfectly). The first line of single crochet was stitched to this. I did some ‘single crochet together’ on the neckline rows to tightened the neckline a bit and finished the border with a row of picot. I don’t know if this is too fiddly, but without it seems a bit too plain, and it can be easily undone. It was relatively quickly done, over two evenings by the tv catching up on recordings (so didn’t feel too much of a slacker). Really happy with sweater. Always a good sign when I wear it straight away…………….