We went for a midsummer picnic this year. It was rather brave as it was well wet and very windy. Some years ago a group of us went one amazing midsummer picnic in the Burren (Limestone hills in neighbouring county) and it was a spectacular sunset, and every year since we have tried to do one (and each time it doesn’t come off). This year we made it a definite, and decided to go to a lovely beach and cliff nearby. And I wore my ten-year-old-2-sizes-too-big windcheater. Which I have had for years and its awful. Its mank. Fine for walking woods and doing firewood, but really……I decided that night I was not going to go to next years midsummer in that jacket.
Two weeks later, there are coats on the euro rail, I bought 3 (which means I now have 5 coats to upcycle…no pressure). I had great plans for this green coat, but in the end went for a simple make using Simplicity 5256 as one or two small holes appeared in the fabric when the 80s detailing was removed. The worst hole was a few inches up the sleeve, and I decided while sewing that to sew an obvious patch, which could look like a deliberate detail (and I am sticking to this).
There were no darts, so I ‘graded’ the pattern by tracing it without seam allowance (how technical is that!). The only concessions I had to make, were the sleeves had to have a seam down the centre, and the hood has a small insert in the back. The sew was straight-forward, and the only changes are that the pockets are side opening, and I did originally put them in -wrong…. I was going to reuse the strange lining (and padding) but didn’t (I thought it would be ironic, but luckily there was insufficient fabric), so I used some green lining from the lining scrap bag for hood and sleeves, and left over check lining for the main. I had hoped and thought I may re-use some of the epaulets etc but it was beginning to feel a bit fiddly and was simpler to leave as it was. Its turned into a useful jacket – very pleased with it, as it will also serve as a working model for the next coat to jacket remake!