the fantastic studio faro

I love browsing through the Anita’s posts on Studio Faro, its so very inspiring, Anita McAdam has a brilliant way of explaining the process.  I don’t know where she gets all her energy from because as well as everything else she does, there is a new pattern puzzle each weekend!  

I always find the one piece pattern pieces so appealing so I have a few of the toiles from Anita’s pattern puzzles here

The first is the Gil Brandao top

gil brandao bodice scarf to top studio faro

I thought I would have enough in a left over piece of double knit – but it was a bit under, so – just in case – I used a jersey snood/scarf that was given to me (it is a very cheap thin ‘pennys’ one).  As these thin jerseys happily roll back on themselves, I left the hem about 10 cm plus.  I think I would change it to a bias angle if I was using a woven, and I think it would look even better as a woven.  In  this jersey its fine, but probably only suitable as a beach top as its sooooo sheer!  I am making a few pairs of high waisted trousers this summer so a fabric top like this could be perfect.

The vintage bodice.

studio faro vintage bodice

I love the shape of the pattern, and made it soon after the post.  Only when I went to look at the pattern, I realised I left few notes on i t (no notes apart from CB on one side).  I also had a piece of double knit left over from the pauline dress which just about fitted the pattern.  I sewed up the back seam and then gathered the front a bit, to join to yoke, and then sewed up centre front.  It needs some tweaking, either at the centre back seam or adapting the sleeve as in one of Anita’s variations.  The pattern does finish exactly on the waist.  However, it could make a great base for a bodice (I would probably go for a more scooped neckline if I was trying it for real), and also a good base for a bolero.

and finally

The Balanciaga Overblouse

balanciaga overblouse studio faro scarf to top

I made this last summer and had this scarf which I thought would dye well afterwards (it didn’t).  

The toile was made, and I was a bit generous and made it a bit big, but even so, at this size it has a ‘hippy’ look to it and would work well with jeans.  I didn’t take it any further as it was probably not something I would wear currently, but if I had a straight skirt cocktail dress, this pattern could certainly make the cutest over-blouse and a lot more practical than a scarf or shawl. 

again, many many thanks Anita for all your shares!

the dreamstress deco echo – scarf to top

the dreamstress deco echo - upcycle scarf to top

the dreamstress deco echo - upcycle scarf to top

Strictly speaking this was not a scarf to a top, but it was an intended scarf/wrap and then it languished in the stash.

I had seen this blouse/top a few times on line while I was looking up 1930ls blouses and came across this lovely site – The dreamstress.

It is a very effective pattern for using up small amounts of ‘precious fabric’.  I had a metre of tie dyed silk devore, and I had cut in half along the centre as at one time I intended to make a wrap (this has been in the ‘curated’  stash for over 10 years – good grief).  I used the devored half to make this top. (the other half will be a  used for a smocked top – I hope).  

Its a cute top, and as its made from rectangles – pretty quick to assemble – which is a nice change as I seem to have found some lengthy projects lately which are taking longer than they should!