This is the most expensive pattern I have ever bought! ….. and I am beginning to be a fan of Pauline Trigere. I also love coats so thought at least this was a 3 for 1 pattern. I also thought I would do the dress first as it was probably easier than jacket/coat.(not so famous last words)
The bodice takes up a little bit more fabric than you would think (or I would think), so getting the right fabric, with right amount from a secondhand piece of clothing was the next hurdle (as in the pile of stuff on the chair beside mannequin). I did have an orange wrap skirt 100% viscose which I did first and then a blue silk wrap skirt as the next one.
I made the pattern to the envelope size, even though I am size or two larger on hips (classic pear). The skirt fits me – but just about. I thought if I made it to the envelope size it would give a truer indication of design, and then either i could finish for someone else to wear or use the fabric for something else.
The orange dress has the perfect weight for the dress, and ultimately the only issue I had were the facings – I used interfacing on autopilot where I shouldn’t have, and they did not fit as well (I cheated and used a seam on centre back and front). Straps are still pinned on as the facings will be redone.
The dress is flat-lined which is something I have never done before (strangely enough), and it gave good weight and form to the bodice, which is a simple but a very effective cut. The fit of the bodice is great especially when you consider there are only 2 darts used. There is a short underskirt underneath, and a waist stay. The skirt has a small amount of gathers so I thought up-sizing would be little issue and if anything should be easier as there would be more fabric to gather in larger size.
The blue dress is a light silk (so I starched it plenty before I started!). The interfacing went on easily by stretching the bodice, and I decided I would also add the pockets for this dress (so handy). I am still undecided about the blue dress as the silk is so light I now think I could have used a heavier lining fabric, whereas the weight of the orange dress is perfect. I am unsure also about the extra gathers and wonder if soft pleats could work better………………….. so I didn’t hem this one yet either!