I saw the pattern on facebook Vintage Pattern Bazaar and I loved the sleeve and the funnel neck and thought the amount of seams would be useful in any upcycle sew. Unfortunately Robin (who was selling the pattern), did not see my enquiry and the pattern was making its way elsewhere, she then got it back for me, and sent it on! (so no pressure! and gazillion thanks to Robin). The pattern is a 32 so I graded it, a bit nervously, as I don’t like grading sleeves at the best of times, but as it was a raglan I felt a bit more confident (but not by much).
I took apart a purple wool suit but when I fitted the pattern pieces there was too much waste to justify the sew, and potentially I would not get the length. I did have a faded fishy denim chambray curtain (only one) so removed the glued fishes, laundered it, and laid it out. The pattern nearly fitted, and I only figured this out after cutting one piece – so I went for a walk and think (and picked up an end piece of tweed in the charity shop for a euro on same walk), and decided to made the centre back panels with a seam at the waist line, and it was a tight squeeze but it all fitted. I had to pull out the original pattern as well as my tracing to try different layouts, before rough marking and transferring to the table to cut.
The lining was easier! The dress made up easily enough, I had anticipated a different look to the sleeves and I was unsure of them, the sleeve dart sits with the shoulder seam but the sleeve and dart seem to sit forward, I took the shoulder in another tiny bit, but its just the style of dress and now that I have been wearing it a bit, I love it (I had decided that I could always take the sleeves off if I was that bothered). The dress is very comfortable, and the pockets useful. I really like the subtle funnel neck. I had been thinking that if I was to try this pattern again, I would reshape the pieces, and redraft a sleeve that had a more defined line to make it a full raglan.
The lining was sewn with the pattern and I ‘pinked’ the edges. It gave the chambray fabric a better weight. The pockets were cut bigger (they were tiny) and the original skirt would have been a few inches below the knee, and I hemmed it at an inch above. The original length was odd looking with boots. Super happy with dress and it feels like a great start to winter sewing as its teaming well with my winter boots, last years made base-layer, and the winter coat that is currently being finished!
and some photos standing on ‘the soon to be foundations of shed’ in the garden…..
I came across this article on THE CUTTING CLASS which I thought interesting if anyone has ever felt (I certainly have) overwhelmed by less than perfect results