I have a sweater that I wish to embroider, and this is not it! This DMC motif came up on my facebook feed and I liked it for a sweater, but didn’t want to put it on the other project so thought if I saw a cotton knit in the ‘charity’, I would give it a try as I do little hand embroidery and had never done it on a knit…….
I used the Seamwork Astoria pattern (again) and modified it by lengthening sleeves and body. This time instead of the crochet edging I hit on the idea of taking the ribbed cuffs and using them as the neckline – and yipee – it worked! I also whipped it up in no time as I used the sewing room overlocker (I recently started volunteering in a community sewing room – its still in a development phase as only open a few hours here and there but will be interesting to see how it works out). I still don’t believe I need an overlocker but am definitely finding them super handy for knits.
Figuring on transferring the design was a bit of a conundrum, and putting it in a hoop was a disaster. I enlarged and traced the design on tissue and wanted to see if I could sew through it (of course I could but it kept ripping). So in the end, I backed the jersey with knit vilene, and used the temporary fabric glue to apply the tissue design and it worked a treat. (I got this fabric glue to help me machine embroider velvet so its great to find another use for it). I put a board in the middle so I didn’t pick up fabric from the far side of the sweater.
I did a basic chain stitch, and did Yeah in a paler shade. I deliberately did not buy new thread as I wanted to use up what I had, but I think I should have done Yeah in more of a contrasting colour. Some of the red floss, was a 8 strand that I was given with random left over craft bits, and although I got to use it up (I did 2 strands) it was very knotty so glad to see the end of it!
I forgot how pleasant hand stitching is. I am hoping the next sweater works well, its a wool knit, and so far the stitches seem to be drowning in it!