Plaid remade – finally

I had to look at my old blog to find the photo of this skirt ‘before’ – I got it about 2014, and had been trying to figure what to make on and off since. My denim Anna Sui dress may now be too small (I live in hope) so I figured I could make a new one, and should I suddenly shrink (unlikely) I could take it in (dream on).

I started making the dress at the end of summer and finally getting to blog about it just coming on to Christmas ….. its a funny thing Covid, time seems to stretch out and then its gone in a flash.

I had to size up – and am feeling pretty cheated. I hadn’t realised there would be such a body change with perimenopause (which can only make me wonder whats next…but best not to over think it!). Figured in the end that something that fits is better than a dress that rides up when walking!

I put the strongest plaid lines to the centre front and worked out from there. I cut the yoke on the bias, and only when I saw it cut figured it would look better with a ‘mirror’ cut so had to so a small scrap sew to get the full cut. I miscalculated the back forgetting about the button overlap, but figured it would be concealed in part with buttons so perhaps it would not be so bad – then again, the shoulder seams match so well it. As the fabric is a loose-ish weave with different sized strands (by comparisson to a tweed for instance), I cuut the lining and basted to each piece (rather than making each separate). I omitted pockets as the jeet pockets seemed like a waste if the fabric was to be reused in the future, and the patch pockets felt fussy.

There is a comfortable amount of ease, and in all I am very happy with the dress. Its a well designed pattern – and its great to wear. I am glad I interlined it, and also glad I maanged to pick up a pair of square toe leather boots in the charity shop a few wees ago which work well with it!

The next project was a 3 way shawl (pillar to post pattern in the pattern links). It works well with the dress and for work (as the hospital can be rather warm, but I still need a cardigan to layer with my coat when I go outside).

My other charity shop find was this 2euro black coat. It was rather tired and the lining was badly ripped. I think it was longer once as the hem looked altered and there was a strange collar on it which was roughly done. The buttons were frayed, and also hanging off. The plus was, it had a great generous cut and wonderful weight (v warm) as well as a true vintage look. As it was impossible to fully revive it without recutting a lining, and try to recover the buttons etc, I figured I should just repair as best I could, and wear as the vintage piece it is. I trimmed the frays on the buttons and reattached – patched the interlining, and patched over the large tear on the inside. I took off the collar and steamed it in the steam cabinet about three times to fully revive the fabric. It looks so much fresher now.

Sewing was going rather slow for most of this year, and yet I seemed to spend a huge amount of time doing ficticious online shopping! or pinning new recipes on pinterest. I can only figure it was from shops being closed and my routine browsing of charity shops was being missed. We are now out of our ‘level 5’ lockdown and I have a few charity shop pieces picked up, and some christmas time off and a renewed sewing plan……

Hoping you are all keeping well and keeping safe – Wishing everyone a very happy christmas and a tonne of real hugs in the new year (sketch below of this years christmas card)

x

2 thoughts on “Plaid remade – finally

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s